Saturday, August 29, 2009

CONTESTANT DARYL MARKHAM TOUCHES THE X FACTOR'S HEARTS

"This show can change your life forever, simple as that," X Factor judge Simon Cowell told dailymail. "One minute you're sitting in your bedroom, suddenly you're a star. That's what can happen to you. It can change your life forever."

If fate can be influenced by fine character, one competitor who should be among those topping the leaderboard would be 40-year-old carpenter Daryl Markham.

Last year Markham was anxious for X Factor auditions, but when he learned that the auditions would coincide with his plans to stand at his brother Gary's side as best man at his wedding, he made the easy decision that the auditions would have to wait. Then, not long after the wedding, Markham's brother was diagnosed with lung cancer and six weeks later passed away.

Clad in jeans and a t-shirt, Markham emotionally told the judges about his brother and best friend. "Last year I applied to The X Factor, but unfortunately it was my brother's wedding day. Well, not unfortunately -- it was fortunate. I was very proud to be his best man," Markham explained.

"Unfortunately, shortly after his wedding, he was diagnosed with lung cancer and six weeks later he passed away," Markham continued, choking back tears. "Me and my brother were inseparable. We did everything together. He was my best friend. Only six weeks after being told, he died. He was only 37. We had a business together, two benches next to each other, me and Gary. All his tools are still there."

And along for the auditions was his brother's young son. "I promised my brother I'd look after his young nine-year-old boy, Kian. He's a very bright boy, but goes back into himself. He doesn't like to express himself too much, so we all have to be strong for him. That's why I'm here today, to make him proud."

"I've always wanted to sing," Markham continued. "My dream would be to perform before an audience and hopefully I can go on stage, give my all and hopefully my voice will do the talking."

The audience cheered as a very nervous Markham sang I Don't Want to Talk About It -- and proved that, as well as a story, he has talent. He seems likely he will move on.

Also impressing the judges was 33-year-old Jamie Archer, also known as Jamie Afro. "Today is the most important thing I've ever done -- I'm 33 years old -- it's now or never really."

Archer performed Sex on Fire -- which drew praise from the judges and even had Simon Cowell singing along! Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment